Carbon monoxide, also known as CO, is an odourless, colourless, poisonous gas that is very deadly and can lead to severe poisoning and even death in extreme circumstances. Common household sources of carbon monoxide include fuel burning appliances such as boilers, furnaces, hot water heaters, wood stoves, gas burners and clothes dryers. Although carbon monoxide may not be immediately life-threatening, it can pose a serious health hazard over a prolonged period. Symptoms of exposure to high levels of carbon monoxide include dizziness, headaches, shortness of breath, nausea, convulsions, coma, or death. Carbon monoxide poisoning can affect people of all ages, although elderly people and infants are more susceptible to its effects.
So, what is carbon monoxide (CO) exactly? Carbon monoxide (CO) is actually a tasteless, colourless, volatile organic compound that results from the incomplete combustion of organic molecules. In its incomplete state, carbon monoxide (CO) is also a colourless and odorless gas. For help with Boiler Repair Belfast, visit belfast-gas.com/boiler-repair-belfast/
It is important to be aware that any exposed person should seek medical attention immediately for any signs of poisoning. Some symptoms of CO poisoning include: headaches, nausea, vomiting, stomach upset, confusion, drowsiness, and increased risk of seizures in children. If you experience any of these symptoms after running your appliances, you should call a gas engineer immediately. Homes should be fitted with a carbon monoxide alarm that will act as your first warning that there could be a hazardous leak somewhere in the property.