Messiah is a Netflix series created by Australian screenwriter and director Michael Petroni that focuses on the modern world’s reaction to a man claimed to be the eschatological return of Jesus. This man appears for the first time in the Middle East and after a series of miracles millions begin to follow him worldwide.
However, the investigation of Eva Geller, a CIA agent, who will follow the track to discover if it is a divine entity or simply a global scam, casts doubts on the man.
According to Petroni, the thriller aims to provoke a debate. “We hope there will be a lot of noise around the program and a lot of debate. I hope there will be a debate,” he insisted, assuring that the series “does not seek to offend or judge anyone.”
The cast of “Messiah” is made up of Belgian actor Mehdi Dehbi, Michelle Monaghan, Tomer Sisley, John Ortiz, Melinda Page Hamilton, Stefania LaVie Owen, Jane Adams, Sayyid El Alami, Fares Landoulsi, and Wil Travel.
Principal photography for the first season ran from June to August 2018 in Amman, Jordan; Albuquerque, Mountainair, Estancia, Belen, Santa Fe, and Clines Corners, New Mexico.
The first ten episodes of the suspense fiction have only been available on Netflix since January 1, 2020, but users of the streaming platform are already asking for a second installment.
If Netflix renews ” Messiah ” for a second season, it is most likely that the new episodes will reach the streaming platform during the first months of 2021.
1. He who has an ear. A crowd believes that a man they call Al Masih saved Damascus from ruin and follows him through the desert. The CIA suspects his intentions.
2. Intifada. In Israel, tensions mount as Agent Eva searches for answers. A dramatic video of Al Masih goes viral. In Texas, a desperate pastor hatches a plan.
3. The finger of God. Al Masih inexplicably appears during a tornado in Texas and convinces Reverend Felix to accept a new purpose. Eva and the FBI are hot on their heels.
4. Judgment. Immersed in pain, Eva interrogates Al Masih and ends up moved by her charisma. The trial to deport him causes a stir.
5. Because seeing they do not see. Eva watches over Al Masih, and Felix doesn’t know what to believe after his church begins to attract the devout and desperate.
6. Not all of us will sleep. Jibril has a shocking vision in the desert. Eva finally finds information about Al Masih, whose devotees follow him in a caravan outside of Texas.
7. Abracadabra. An incredible event fuels the phenomenon around Al Masih, but Eva becomes increasingly suspicious. Jibril and Samer grow apart amid the political turmoil.
8. Force majeure. Al Masih speaks face-to-face with the US president and poses a challenge that will resonate in the White House, but soon he will have to answer tough questions.
9. God is great. Eva discovers alarming information about Al Masih’s past. Jibril and Samer’s paths collide. Rebecca intervenes at a key moment.
10. The wages of sin. Eva tries to prevent a plan to silence Al Masih as a news flash shocks her followers.